Kinsman Robinson Galleries vs. Ugo Matulic /CV-10-417123/
/CASE WON BY THE DEFENDANT/
~ All individual posts from the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG specified in KINSMAN ROBINSON GALLERIES' 'Statement of Claim' for this $1,000,000 SLAPP suit, against Blog Master UGO MATULIC, will be presented separately in future posts...
~ Blog Master Ugo Matulic with "The Conversation, 1981" created by William McElcheran (1927–1999); Calgary, Alberta;
© 2014 Ugo Matulic /Click on Image to Enlarge/
"Though Kinsman Robinson Galleries web blogs have personally accused Matulic of being an “ignorant Croatian,” Matulic is a shining example of how passionate new Canadians have immeasurably helped to enrich the cultural life of Canada."
> On May 7th, 2008 KRG blog published a post under the title "Will the real SpiritWalker please stand up?" If you read the text under that heading and ignore the racist slant that is, in a sense disparaging to all Canadian immigrants, including the former Governor General of Canada, one would get a feeling that to appreciate Canadian aboriginal art a person has to be either an aboriginal Canadian or Canadian born. I have posted my reply to their racial profiling almost a year later on April 24th, 2009 with a post "The Real Spirit Walker is standing up!"...
As per December 31st, 2010 post "KRG Not Involved In 'Morrisseau Conspiracy' " by KRG blog at http://genuinemorrisseau.blogspot.com/ it is stated that allegations presented on the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG referring to Kinsman Robinson Galleries "are unfair and false, offensive, mean-spirited" and "were published either with the knowledge that they were false, or with conscious disregard for the truth." (click HERE) This post has been since deleted by KRG blog editors (click HERE for .PDF version of .MHT file of this KRG's blog post, with their comment, from July 9th, 2011).
"The Plaintiffs have actively and deliberately taken action to corner the market in paintings by Norval Morrisseau. They are using their own position, as a former Morrisseau dealer, to inflate the value of their own holdings of Norval Morrisseau's paintings, and deflate the value of paintings held by Matulic, other Morrisseau collectors and art galleries all across Canada, by falsely claiming that many genuine Morrisseaus are forgeries, especially those signed on the back by the artist in black paint using drybrush (DB) technique. However several of these paintings have been positively confirmed for the signature authenticity by three independent forensic document examiners from Ottawa, Toronto and Calgary."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 4, Page 2)
"The Plaintiffs along with other individuals have attacked Matulic's personal and professional reputation in an attempt to devalue paintings from Matulic's personal collection calling them forgeries and abominations."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 5, Page 2)
"All of the blog postings written by Matulic contain statements that are factually accurate or contain statements of opinion based upon accurate facts."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 7, Page 3)
"The Plaintiff, Kinsman Robinson Galleries, previously owned and used the domain name www.norvalmorrisseau.com. However, they did not pay the necessary domain name registration renewal fees and it was placed on the open market and Matulic purchased the domain name. Since then, Matulic has used the domain name and blog to honour the late great Canadian painter Norval Morrisseau. The plaintiffs have on several occasions tried to intimidate him and to portray him in negative light, thereby allowing other individuals to launch a number of character defamation attacks on him on the internet and other forms of media." (Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 6, Page 3)
"Freedom of expression is guaranteed by s. 2 (b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (the "Charter"). It is essential to the proper functioning of the institutions of a democratic form of governance, including the institutions of the courts, the judiciary and an independent professional bar. The law should encourage and permit freewheeling debate in good faith on matters of public interest. The law should not be used to thwart such freewheeling debate by an overtly solicitous attempt to protect a private corporation such as one owned by the plaintiffs. The Matulic postings at issue in this action, demonstrate the vital importance of such a free-wheeling debate. In the particular circumstances of this case, the postings should benefit from constitutional immunity."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 15, Page 6)
"There are more than 40 galleries and various auction houses and museums across North America which have exhibited authentic Norval Morrisseau's artwork which the Plaintiffs consider fakes and they are in support of individuals who collectively deflated the value of paintings held by Matulic and other Norval Morrisseau collectors all across Canada, by falsely claiming that many genuine Norval Morrisseau's are fakes."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 18, Page 7)
"The Plaintiffs' concerted campaign of online terror in the form of libel chill is a transparent attempt to monopolize the privileged sale of the Norval Morrisseau's artwork and to silence any of their critics."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 19, Page 7)
"Contrary to the Plaintiffs' assertions, Mr. Joseph McLeod of Maslak McLeod Gallery, the other most prominent expert in Norval Morrisseau's art considers the paintings in question to be authentic."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 21, Page 8)
"Matulic specifically denies the allegation in the ASOC paragraph 5 that he was actuated by bad faith in "publishing/broadcasting" the words complained of in the ASOC subparagraph 5. Matulic honestly believed his words to be true and posted them in good faith and without malice and without gross negligence."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 24, Page 9)
"Matulic therefore submits that this action constitutes an abuse of process and has been commenced with the vexatious attempt to deter Matulic from expressing his opinions, and as such, this is a strategic lawsuit against public participation intended to interfere with Matulic's right to freedom of expression."
(Statement of Defence, Sept. 21st, 2011; ¶ 28, Page 10)
>> The following are links to the posts from the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG specified in Plaintinffs' 'Statement of Claim' (DEC 2010) alleging Defamation:
1. > ww.NorvalMorrisseauLegalDefenceFund.com (Part I) (NOV 22, 2008);
2. > ww.NorvalMorrisseauLegalDefenceFund.com (Part III) (DEC 18, 2008);
3. > ww.NorvalMorrisseauLegalDefenceFund.com (Part IV) (DEC 19, 2008);
4. Weekend of Awakening (MAR 2, 2009);
5. David Voss about Donald Robinson (MAR 25, 2009);
7. > ww.NorvalMorrisseauLegalDefenceFund.com (Part VI) (SEP 13, 2009);
8. Action of Deception by KRG (Part II) (NOV 28, 2009);
9. Action of Deception by KRG (Part III) (DEC 7, 2009);
10. Deceptions of the main 'Norval Morrisseau Conspirators': Gabor Vadas, Bryant Ross, Donald Robinson & Ritchie 'Stardreamer' Sinclair (Part I) (DEC 13, 2009);
11. Action of Deception by KRG (Part IV) (DEC 15, 2009);
12. 'Old Art Scam' Kinsman Robinson Galleries, Coghlan Art Studio & Gallery and Gabor Vadas: Mr. Karl J. Burrows (Part I) (DEC 21, 2009);
13. Who is Donald C. Robinson and what is his role in the Norval Morrisseau Conspiracy? (Part I) (JAN 19, 2010);
14. Who is Paul C. H. Robinson and what is his role in the Norval Morrisseau Conspiracy? (Part I) (MAR 2, 2010);
15. American art collectors write about incident at Kinsman Robinson Galleries (MAR 7, 2010);
16. Action of Deception by KRG (Part V) (APR 16, 2010);
17. Action of Deception by KRG (Part VII) (JUL 4, 2010);
18. Norval Morrisseau Conspiracy Unveiled (NOV 4, 2010);
19. Norval Morrisseau Conspiracy Unveiled (NOV 10, 2010);
20. 'Old Art Scam' Kinsman Robinson Galleries, Coghlan Art Studio & Gallery and Gabor Vadas: Mr. Karl J. Burrows (Part I) (DEC 29, 2010).
Plaintiffs signed the Full and Final Release on May 16th, 2013 dropping all charges against me as soon as the judgement by Judge Paul J. Martial in Hatfield vs. Artworld of Sherway* was announced... contrary to what was stated for a reason on Kinsman Robinson Galleries' blog: "Our decision to agree to this settlement was made in order to end the ongoing distraction and cost of a complex litigation process." (click HERE or HERE for this post's screen capture).
* - Donald Robinson (the Plaintiff) was discredited in this pivotal court case relevant to authenticity of Norval Morrisseau artworks (click HERE).
NOTE: 1. "The Hatfield case was unique in that it represented the first time a Morrisseau authentication joust had proceeded through a complete trial – it required five hearings spanning about two and a half years and resulting in 750 pages of published evidence – and ended with a judicial ruling." ~ 'The Globe and Mail'
This means that I would be totally free to write as before, about Donald Robinson, Paul Robinson, John MacGregor Newman, and Kinsman Robinson Galleries, as their activities relate to the Hoax of the so-called “fakes” they allege.
"I was in the process of submitting a long list of documents they would be required to produce that they have hidden from public scrutiny for the last 13 years. And they knew that is what they would have to reveal. Also financial documents, which actually show their profits went up from the Hoax, and not down from my revelations."
For background information on this 1,000,000 SLAPP suit by Kinsman Robinson Galleries and reasons behind it click HERE.
"On the other hand, there are those dealers - including Joseph McLeod and collectors like Ugo Matulic and Joseph Otavnik - who believe that the issue of fakes is really a non-issue, a trumped-up conspiracy by Kinsman Robinson and Gabe Vadas to corner the market."
Armand Garnet Ruffo (NORVAL MORRISSEAU 'Man Changing into Thunderbird, 2014; Page 290)
>>> REFERENCE POSTS:
- Law Tips for Bloggers (Part III) /SLAPP Suits/, - Ugo Matulić's response to Kinsman Robinson Galleries, Donald C. Robinson & Paul C. H. Robinson, - Ugo Matulić's response to yet another "Notice of Libel" by Kinsman Robinson Galleries, Kinsman Robinson Galleries threatens SLAPP suit against Ugo Matulić for $ 1 Million (Part I),
- Ugo Matulic wins $1,000,000 SLAPP suit against Kinsman Robinson Galleries (Part I), - Pivotal Court Case Relevant to Authenticity of Norval Morrisseau Artworks & - Hatfield, Margaret Lorraine vs. Child, Donna and Artworld of Sherway (Part IV).