Saturday, February 23, 2008

Red Lake Woodland Arts Festival


A Tribute to Norval Morrisseau and the Woodland Artists
July 4th, 5th, 6th, 2008

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Media Release - February 6th 2008

Red Lake, Ontario, February 6, 2008 - From July 4-6, 2008, Red Lake (pop. 5000) will host the Red Lake Woodland Arts Festival: A Tribute to Norval Morrisseau and the Woodland Artists. The festival will take visitors on a special journey as they discover the untold story of the artist’s life, from 1959 when he arrived in Red Lake to work as a miner, to when he left the area around 1973, the father of seven children and internationally famous as the founder of the Woodland School of Art.

Also honoured will be the members of the Triple K Cooperative, an Aboriginal print shop that operated in Red Lake between 1973 and 1980. Triple K artists included Norval Morrisseau, Goyce Kakegamic, Joshim Kakegamic, Saul Williams, Barry Peters and Paddy Peters. Triple K became the largest and most successful Aboriginal economic development initiative in Northwestern Ontario, providing an infrastructure that resulted in many artists having their work exhibited and acquired by prominent art galleries and museums in Canada and around the world. Also acknowledged during the festival will be Carl Ray, a well-known artist from Sandy Lake who preceded Triple K and is considered a trail-blazer in the Woodland art movement...

TO READ MORE CLICK HERE

* The painting in this posting: "Untitled" (Thunderbird), "30"x62", © c. 1960 Norval Morrisseau /Collection of the Red Lake Museum/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a chance to meet and party together, Morrisseau fans!! See you there?!
KHVH

Anonymous said...

C.T.
sounds like a fantastic opprtunity to see and meet some of Canada's top artists. I hope to attend. thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

comment from bigPinTO
As I believe that "silence is golden" this will be my first and only posting to this blog.
I wish to share my thoughts and experience in this forum,and my comments are not intended to solicit or promote any gallery or individual.
Several years back, I walked into the KRG in Toronto and purchased a nice work,(published in "travels to the house of Invention") Prior to this ,off the street purchase, I had never been in the gallery, nor had I ever met any of it's staff. I had full confidence in the gallery simply by it's reputation.
Last Tuesday, again having never spoken to or met Mr Ross, I called him, we talked for a while, and I puchased a work which is currently marked SOLD on his web site.
(both times I was fully aware of the buzz in the community)again, this transaction was possible, as I went on reputation and provenance. no issue.
I wish to stress again, I am not promoting anyone, this is my personal experiance only.
I will say this. I have no issue with either of these two purchases.
I would further like to express my thought on the future.
the catalogue will take 10 years or so to compile.
well documented Morrisseau work's will increase dramatically in price over the years to come.
works with little, or no history will be priced accordingly.
as someone already posted."perhaps there is a Morrisseau for everyone"
thanks
and good luck to all.

Anonymous said...

right you are , this is the real deal.
a classic early work. can you see what makes it an authentic Morrisseau?