Monday, July 28, 2008

North American Native Wisdom (Part I)

"Words of Fire, Deeds of Blood"

© Music by Robbie Robertson & the Red Road Ensemble; Words of Chief Joseph spoken by Robbie Robertson

Compiled by timetorightwrongs

Joseph the Younger succeeded his father as chief in 1871. Before his death, the latter counseled his son:

"My son, my body is returning to my mother earth, and my spirit is going very soon to see the Great Spirit Chief. When I am gone, think of your country. You are the chief of these people. They look to you to guide them. Always remember that your father never sold his country. You must stop your ears whenever you are asked to sign a treaty selling your home. A few years more, and white men will be all around you. They have their eyes on this land. My son, never forget my dying words. This country holds your father's body. Never sell the bones of your father and your mother."

CHIEF JOSEPH*

* Chief Joseph (March 3, 1840 - September 21, 1904) was the chief of the band of Nez Perce Indians during General Oliver O. Howard's attempt to forcibly remove his band and the other "non-treaty" Indians to a reservation in Idaho. For his principled resistance to the removal, he became renowned as a humanitarian and peacemaker.

- "You Tube" presentation

* To view all "You Tube" presentations on the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG click HERE.

No comments: