Friday, November 16, 2007

The Edwards Collection (Part I)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Excerpts from the introduction of the book "My Year With Norval Morrisseau" (1987-1988) [ISBN: 978-0-9783627-0-6]:

... In 1987, what was then called an "Indian Arts and Crafts Show" was held at Hotel Vancouver. Entering the exhibit, I was immediately drawn towards an array of spectacular images. Vibrant colors bounced over the canvases. In the midst of these bold strokes and splashes of paint was another image. Slumped in a chair behind a table, sat a man, quiet and alone.

This, I was told, was artist Norval Morrisseau: unknown to me, but internationally recognized for his talent at Expo 1967, subject of a National Film Board documentary and awarded the prestigious Order of Canada in 1978. Already captivated by his work and now intrigued by his persona, I knew that I would not leave this exhibition without owning one of his beautiful canvases.

Selection of one from among so many choices was difficult. While writing a check I told him where I worked. To my surprise, Norval told me that he was familiar with the store and that he had known my father, who in his own words "had shown him a great kindness". He had been the recipient of my father's generosity! Touched, I assured him that now I could be found in that same shop, should he ever need anything again...

... Throughout the year that followed this fateful encounter. Norval was a regular visitor at my shop. Usually he had art to sell. I wrote many more checks as the months passed by, always excited by his images, whic began to fill and overfill my office walls.

And so began my passion for the work of Norval Morrisseau and the acquisition of the art represented here. Named for the man and the spirit in which this time began, these paintings are known as the Edwards Collection.

Bonnie Edwards Kagna MacFarlane
© London Galleries 2007

To order your copy e-mail: macfoo@telus.net
-
*The acrylic painting in this post is an original artwork of Norval Morrisseau (book cover): "The Great Eagle", 48"x40", (c. 1987), © Bonnie Edwards Kagna MacFarlane in accordance with an agreement with Norval Morrisseau, June 11, 1988 /The Edwards Collection/

No comments: