Sunday, November 20, 2011

North American Indians in the Movies (Part I)

-
Chief Dan George (1899-1981)
x

By


Old Lodge Skins: Come out and fight! It is a good day to die! Thank You for making me a Human Being! Thank You for helpin' me to become a warrior! Thank You for my victories, and for my defeats! Thank You for my vision, and the blindness in which I saw further! You make all things and direct them in their ways, O Grandfather. And now You have decided the Human Beings will soon walk a road that leads nowhere. I am gonna die now, unless death wants to fight. And I ask You for the last time to grant me my old power to make things happen.

[Lies down to die. After a moment, props himself up on his elbows to add:]

Old Lodge Skins: Take care of my son here. See that he doesn't go crazy.

[Grandfather, who has laid himself down to die, wakes up]

Old Lodge Skins: Am I still in this world?

Jack Crabb: Yes, Grandfather.

Old Lodge Skins: [groans] I was afraid of that. Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes, it doesn't.


-


>>> For more information about Chief Dan George click HERE and for more informationa about the "Little Big Man" click HERE.
-

No comments: