Sunday, December 29, 2013

"Indian Jesus Christ," © 1974 Norval Morrisseau

-




























"Indian Jesus Christ," 53"x27", © 1974 Norval Morrisseau
/Click on image to Enlarge/


"I went through a phase of painting Christian religious pictures, but yet I always saw them with the eyes of the Indian. My mind may have been thinking the way the Christians thought in the Byzantine times. My mind perceives the ritchness, the silver, the jewellery and so on, but when I translate the thoughts that are in my mind, when I put them down on paper or on canvas, something different comes out. It's one thing to visualize the Christian figures and another to paint them."

Norval Morrisseau

-
-



* The acrylic painting on paper in this post: "Indian Jesus Christ", 53"x27", © 1974 Norval Morrisseau ; Collection of Department of Indian and Northern Affairs, Ottawa, Ontario CANADA; Image of this painting can be found on page 106 in "The Art of Norval Morrisseau" /Sinclair, Lister, Jack Pollock, and Norval Morrisseau/ -Toronto, Ontario: Methuen, 1979/

No comments: