Friday, May 23, 2008

NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG Continues Honouring Norval Morrisseau & His Legacy

-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
"THE FAMILY", c. 1990s, © Norval Morrisseau
/Collection of Gabor and Michele Vadas/
-
-
The above painting representing Norval Morrisseau, Gabor, Michele and Robin was one of the paintings that caused one of many moments that Blog Master of NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG had to deal with with dignity, perseverance and true convictions that Honouring the Great Copper Thunderbird sometimes may cause "little discomfort" especially if some of the readers are not appreciating and understanding his true intentions.
-
...
-
On April 25th, 2008 I had posted "STORIES BEHIND THE PAINTINGS (Great Life Adventures of Norval Morrisseau) - Part I" where I presented the story about Norval Morrisseau's life and his relationship with Gabor Vadas' Family. If you read the posting (click on the link above) you will be also able to read the comments that followed the writing in question where someone confronted me with request to remove the image of "The Family" painting due to the copyright infringement and that action was to follow (please, read the posting stated above before proceeding).
-
Upon removing the image in question from the posting, Bryant Ross of the "Coghlan Art Studio & Gallery" contated me on April, 26th, 2008 with the following e-mail:
-
"Hi Spirit Walker,
-
I am writing you to let you know that who ever hassled you about posting the image 'The Family' is not the true copyright holder. Gabe Vadas is the holder of all copyright. When I saw the blog entries that threaten action against you it sounded wrong to me, so I got a hold of Gabe to ask him why he would do this. He did not know anything about it. Who ever posted the copyright complaint is not the legal holder of copyright. I do not understand why someone would do this. I do not know who it is. Do you?
-
Gabe has told me that you can re-post the picture if you want. He does not see anything disrespectful in your using pics of Norval's work and does not want to block you from using them.
-
Cheers,
Bryant Ross - Coghlan Art"
-
-
I replied to him on April, 26th, 2008 with the following e-mail:
-
"Thanks Bryant,
-
From now for any treaths regarding copyright issues I will act upon receiving legitimate e-mail directed to me directly at spiritwalker2008@gmail.com.
-
Thanks again and say Gabe and Michele that I just wanted to recognize their hard work taking care of Norval for many years by posting this article and image. There are many things that I might not agree with what I heard about him but I like to judge a person based on my personal experience. All of this what I am doing is for true respect to Norval and people that were closely associated with him and still are. If in the future is proven that I was wrong regarding to many controversial issues I will publicly apologize to the all parties involved.... until then I will write what I believe is just and write as per my mission statement posted just below the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG title.... All the best.... I truly appreciate your e-mail... Tell Michele and Gabe that if for whatever reason they would like to use this platform to send a message to the wide audience of Norval Morrisseau admirers I am giving them all the freedom to express themselves via this blog if they wish to do so....
-
Talk to you soon.... SW "
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: As presented above it can be clearly understood that current copyright owner Gabor Vadas, via Mr. Bryant Ross, had given me permission to use images of Norval Morrisseau paintings to be presented herein on NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Note: I would like to thank to Mr. Bryant Ross for his action in good faith by communicating with me regarding the issue in question and also I would like to thank Mr. Gabor Vadas for giving me permission to use images of Norval's paintings on NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG. Even "we agree to disagree", the way Mr. Ross put it nicely into words, we are all doing our best to honour and continue honouring Norval Morrisseau and his contribution to the legacy of his people as well as to the preservation of his artistic legacy.
-
-
To All,
-
Keep placing your comments and do not be bothered with disagreements and controversies. Norval's life was full of controversies... and they keep coming and going.
Norval wouldn't like it any other way...
-
I am sure he is smiling now from the Spirit World knowing that for centuries to come Canadians and humans (not only humans) alike will be talking about him.
-
Let us put things in order and clear the disagreements - all in honour of Norval Morrisseau.
-
Megwetch,
-
Spirit Walker
-
-
* Source: "The Family" - from "Coghlan Art Studio & Gallery", Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada

No comments: